Thursday, May 3, 2012

The little decisions

I really feel like I'm in a grove on this whole get-healthy thing.  I now have a weekly routine where I (for an hour each):

  • Swim
  • Yoga
  • Lift weights
  • Play drums (this is actually closer to two hours)
One thing I have learned to do is to listen to my body, specifically when I lift weights.  Historically I have ratcheted the weights up quickly (the one positive physical attribute of mine is that I get strong very quickly), but this has also been the mode of my injuries.  I am limiting myself to only two sets of 15 reasonable reps on the upper body and one set of 15 on the lower body (the latter being where most of injuries have occurred).  This is about getting healthy, not getting bulky.

While none of these have an immediate visual impact, my energy is increasing just a little bit more each day.  My clothes are also fitting a little better (and too loose in some instances; I will most likely only dry clean one particular suit one more time until I have the wait taken in on the pants).

Another thing I tried this week was going to bed by 10:00PM (instead of 11:00PM) and going into work by 7:00AM (instead of 8:00AM).  I then force myself to leave the office between 4:30PM and 5:00PM.  My original intent was to have more time to be social in the evenings, but I have noticed that I am more relaxed when I go to bed.  We shall see how long this lasts (and most likely I will not go in until 8:00AM on Friday, because, well, it is Friday).

On that note, happy Thriday!

No comments: