Thursday, May 1, 2008

On the treadmill

This past week I decided to move on from the elliptical to the treadmill. This is a much, much bigger jump than I had previously thought. So far, here are my times/distances:

April 28 - 1 mile in 15 minutes
April 30 - 1.2 miles in 20 minutes
May 1 - 1.6 miles in 24 minutes

Compare these distances/times to the 3.5 miles in 28 minutes accomplished on the elliptical and it tells you that I have a ways to go regarding cardio. I have two hurdles to get through right now:
  1. Maintaining 6 miles per hour without pushing my heart rate over 170 bpm
  2. Pushing through the pain in my left knee without injuring myself (at least not until I get health insurance)
The first one will just take time. I need to build up my cardio conditioning and just plain lose weight (try running at 226 pounds; it's freakin' hard!). The knee, on the other hand, I can only stop when something doesn't feel right. By not feel right I mean that it either is difficult to bend or a stabbing pain takes place. When this happens, all I can do is step down from the machine.

I did some research last night, and it appears as though I have runners knee. This is not an expert opinion, but rather a comparison of my symptoms to some web pages I came across. Runners knee is when the knee cap doesn't properly move in it's intended track. There are several causes, but the most likely for me is due to how my feet pronate (opposite of pigeon toed) when I walk. From what I read, I need to make sure that I am stretching and see a doctor as soon as I can. Until that doctor's visit, I am going to be taking ibuprofen (anti-inflammatories is also a recommended treatment).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As is the nature of me and everyone in my family, I feel the need to question something you said. Pronation is the extend to which your foot rolls inward when you walk. Everyone pronates, but the extent to which one pronates is generally determined by the arch of the foot. The flatter the foot the more likely the foot will overpronate and the greater the need for proper footwear. For those without neuromuscular abnormalities, out-toeing is generally caused by an external rotation of the hips.

This isn't to say that you aren't overpronating, just saying that your pronation probably doesn't have anything to do with your out-toeing. Also, if you are overpronating it could be causing your shin splints.