Monday, April 28, 2008

One of Those "Zero" Milestones

Numbers

I am now officially down 41 pounds! Here are this week's numbers (with last week's in parenthesis):

Weight - 226 (228)
Blood Pressure - 133/84 (137/85)
Resting Heart Rate - 74 (72)

This also marks the approximate halfway point for my weight loss goal, although I do have to admit that I have no idea where I am going to end up if I keep lifting weights with the same intensity that I have been. My guess (and this is pure speculation) is that if I keep this up I will lose weight into the mid-180's and then start putting on muscle to between 190 and 200 pounds. I will be sure to reevaluate this guess in 12-18 months.

At 226 pounds, I weigh about the same that I did when I started my last semester of college in January 2005. I [healthily] altered my diet during that semester, bringing my weight down to around 205 only to put it all back on by the end of Summer 2005. The major difference between now and then is that I am putting a focus on what I can accomplish (i.e. distance I can run, weights I can lift) as opposed to only tracking what I weigh. This will most certainly keep me on track to a healthy life instead of a superficial image.

Food

I am possibly the least picky eater you will ever meet. The only foods that I can not stand are ketchup, pickles, and sea urchin sushi; if you put anything else in front of me I will gladly eat it. This is most certainly a huge advantage in that I never have trouble finding a good restaurant, and I am completely open to new foods. The downside is that it makes it that much more difficult to eat with discretion.

This next part is nothing more than some healthier substitutes that I have found to aid in curbing my cravings for my favorite foods. The key is to focus on what you can eat, not what you can not.

Sweets

I have a huge sweet tooth (especially for chocolate), so I knew that this one would be a struggle. I knew coming out of the chute that I had to find something to curb my cravings, or else I would fall flat on my face. The easy solution was to find those 100 calorie pudding packs; by limiting myself to one serving per day this helped keep the portions in control. I have also incorporated various granola bars into my diet. They do tend to be slightly higher in calories, but I only buy ones that are less than 200 calories, high in protein, and high in fiber. This is to ensure that I am not eating empty calories.

With that said, I still have major cravings for ice cream. I am not talking about a scoop of rocky road, but instead I am referring to the 1200 calorie Cold Stone-type monstrosities. I have been successful in avoiding this awful place of wonderful goodness since early January, but it has been extremely difficult. Thank the Lord for No Pudge Fudge! This is the most idiot proof box of brownies in the world (not that box brownies are exactly difficult to make). All you do is add 2/3 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt, mix, and bake. An entire 8" x 8" pan is 1440 calories and contains only 2 grams of fat. Break that up into 9 brownies, add 1/2 cup of fat free vanilla ice cream and a table spoon or so of lite Hershey's chocolate syrup, and you have a more than satisfying chocolate brownie a la mode at around 300 calories. Let me be clear, the brownie is one of the best I have ever tasted (it's very gooey and super fudgey), and the mass of what is actually being eaten is as big as what you would get at a restaurant. The nutritional value is nil, but this is how I manage the mental piece of eating sensibly.

Meats

I know that the fellow Midwesterners out there that will let out a collective, "Ugh!" but this one is extremely important: You do not need red meat. If you do eat red meat: You do not need to eat the 16 ounce porterhouse or fatty rib eye. If you want a hamburger: Use a red meat substitute. If you look at expert dietitian recommendations one should only eat red meat 1 to 2 times per week maximum. If you do eat it, eat lean cuts of the appropriate portion; that is, eat a 4 ounce fillet (the recommended serving size). Finally, use ground turkey instead of ground chuck. It tastes better, anyways.

I personally eat chicken, tilapia, or salmon at almost every dinner. Because of my weight and how often I lift weights (minimum 4 times per week) I eat 8-10 ounces every night, but this is something that will certainly have to go down if I wish to continue losing fat. Fact of the matter is that if you eat more protein than you burn, this protein turns into fat. To determine how much protein you require, use this formula.

Make It Taste Good

This part can be difficult, especially if you crave the tasty goodness of fried foods that I do. There are three key elements to making the food taste good while keeping the taste while cooking in a skillet. First, the hotter the skillet the less oil is required. Second, use healthy oils (olive oil, avocado oil, grape oil) instead of unhealthy vegetable oil. Finally, season, season, season (still limit the salt).

Liquids

Drinks lots of water. A cup or two of coffee (no sugar, no cream) in the morning will not kill you. Do not have so many beers (I still have 1 or 2 each week). Stop drinking pop! This one is more about common sense and moderation. And for a second time, stop drinking pop!

Starches

If it is white, it is bad. Red or white potatoes should be substituted with sweet potatoes. White rice should be substituted with brown rice. Eat whole wheat bread instead of white or potato bread. This is just a little change that will make you stay full for longer periods of time. It is an excellent way to curb appetites without consuming tons of calories.

Just Pay Attention

I do not use a food journal. I do not meticulously measure my consumption. I do, however, use common sense. Only a very small amount of nutritional education is required to be balance and healthy. First, only eat 1500-2500 calories per day; this number depends on your activity and weight. Next, you get 65-70 grams of fat each day, just be sure to keep saturated fat under 20 grams and avoid the trans fats completely. Finally, eat starches that are chocked full of fiber and not sugar; you do get 250-270 carbohydrates each day, just get the most out of them. Simply put, I only read these lines on the nutrition labels.

To help keep this straight, figure out how many times you eat each day. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. I know that each time I sit down to eat I can consume about 15 grams of fat and 50 carbs. To control calories, I eat about 350 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch, 600-800 for dinner, and around 500 total for my snacks (by snacks I mean granola bars and fruit with the occasional brownie a la mode from above). I also take a men's multi-vitamin to make sure that I am getting all of the nutrients I need to be fully fueled.

I am not a dietitian and am horrible at science, so by simplifying and focusing on the big picture (rather than weighing my portions) I will still on track instead of being bogged down by the details.

No comments: