Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Strength - Check; Cardio - Check; Athleticism - Still Working on It

Softball

Last night was my first game playing organized slow pitch softball, and it was a reminder that getting fit does not equate into athleticism. Let me put it this way: I struck out looking during my first at bat. This led to an 0-8 night during the two games. I did, however, knock a run in, but unfortunately it scored on a fielders choice and will not count as an RBI. Also, squatting for two hours as catcher plays hell on your knees and hamstrings.

To remedy my problematic uppercut swing Nicole and I are going to the batting cages this weekend. Even though I am obviously also going to work on my fielding abilities, I will conceded that I am going to remain catcher throughout the season; legitimately good fielders and seniority are hurdles beyond my control.

So why am I playing softball? First off, I need to make some friends out here; due to the nature of my last job in the Mid-Atlantic I managed to tick off more people than befriend. Second, it gets me out and moving without sitting in a boring gym. Even though my legs hate me for squatting for two hours last night my heart is going to get stronger from sprinting base to base (I ended up scoring a run after the fielders choice). Finally, it is only going to be a matter of time before I flatten out my swing. This is another all-important goal that continues to motivate me.

Cardio at the Gym

Alright, so maybe 3.5 miles in 28 minutes was a bit of a bold goal, especially considering that the next best distance/time accomplishment was 3 miles in 25 minutes 50 seconds. I attempted this feat for the first time on Monday and ended up logging 3 miles in 23 minutes. I still do view this as an accomplishment (I would have had a hard time doing this even when I competed in wrestling and track in high school). It will act as a motivator tomorrow when I attempt the 3.5 miles again; I just have to remember that baby steps are sometimes the most appropriate size.

No comments: