Sunday, April 22, 2012

What is more expensive?

I am pleased to report that I am still moving in the right direction:

  • April 22 - 230.4
  • April 15 - 231.2
  • January 2 (start date) - 256
I am so close to losing a zero, and it is feeling pretty awesome.  In order to hit my goal of 220 by Memorial Day I need to lose on average slightly more than 2 pounds per week; this is a tough goal, and it will surely be down to the wire.  I am looking for a big week next week (3-ish pounds) to get me rolling.

I also knocked a few more seconds off my swimming mile time and clocked in at 57 minutes 10 seconds; I would have been in the 56 minute range had I not had to share my lane for 15 laps.  I also got a comment this afternoon on the improved definition in my arms (hubba hubba).

I came across an interesting study performed by the Mayo Clinic regarding the cost of smoking versus that of obesity, and while I am not surprised by the results the magnitude of difference was staggering.  When the study determined the total cost of care (treatment for behavior-related disease) the annual cost of smoking was $1,274 to $1,401 and obesity $5,467 to $5,530.

In our economy-obsessed American society, health care policy makers should be leading with this type of information.  Diseases such as type-II diabetes, high blood pressure, and orthopedic injuries (fortunately, the latter is the only one currently affecting me) are, for most of the population, avoidable yet incredibly expensive.

The moral of this study is that by losing weight around the belly you can gain weight in your wallet.

No comments: