Monday, January 30, 2012

Holy Ceviche! I'm Down Another 2.2!

After a lackluster drop from last week, I'm back on track. Not that I should really complain about .6 pounds per week, but 2.2 pounds in the last seven days feels pretty great. Here are the numbers:
  • 256 - Starting weight on January 2
  • 246 - Weight on January 22
  • 242.8 - Weight on January 29
Not only is dropping 12.2 pounds in less than a month a pretty good feeling, but being able to do it while eating great food is the best. For example, take a look at this:


While I can't take credit for doing anything beyond choosing fish, I can take credit for...well...eating delicious ceviche. For those culinarily-challenged, ceviche is (at its most basic form) raw fish cooked in citrus. It's cool and slightly scary all at the same time: the acid from the citrus cooks the fish. Delicious, delicious citrus fish.

Here's the recipe (this served two of us):
  • 4 limes worth of freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 lemon worth of freshly squeezed juice
  • 1/4 cup of grapefruit juice (from the bottle)
  • 1/4 pound of scallops
  • 1/4 pound of shrimp
  • 1/4 pound of tilapia
  • Cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Red onion
  • 1/2 Avocado
  • Salt and pepper
Mix everything together (again, put the scallops, shrimp, and tilapia in raw) except for the avocado, cover it in plastic wrap (make sure there is no air between the food and wrap), and let it sit about an hour in the fridge. Take it out, and add the avocado just before you eat it. This whole dish is only 320 calories. If you don't like avocado (which I have no idea how one could not like avocado; yes, I'm talking to you, mom) that will save you 80 calories.

By the way, here's the main dish (clams marinara over penne pasta):

Depending on the pasta, and assuming put the proper portion on the plate (note this is a small plate), I ingested ~300 more calories.

As a guy who has a very difficult time with portion control and saying when, I go out of my way to ensure that every morsel that enters my mouth tastes as good as possible. These dishes are proof positive that great food does not have to be a diet-killer.

Bon apetite!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Congrats on your weight loss! I started blogging about my goals last year and it did AMAZING things for my motivation. Just the other day I was joking that people who struggle with their goals should start a blog. :)